[lbo-talk] getting back to criticism

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 00:09:41 PST 2010

Mike Beggs:

> but you can't agree with Cardew's and think his early music is respectable

Rumor has it though that Cardew was about to get back together with AMM before his death. Also, Tilbury basically has the same Anti-Imp perspective, but still plays avant-garde music. I think at some point all those guys maybe became aware of the excesses of culturalist Maoism, while still retaining the basic political perspectives. Also they seemed to have discovered Adorno and the Frankfurt School, and in Tilbury's case George Steiner as well.

Any comment on Tilbury's Cardew biography? <http://www.matchlessrecordings.com/cornelius-cardew-life-unfinished> I've been undecided about getting it, though I suppose it is one of those things one "must" read if one is interested in this music.