[lbo-talk] Q for English majors/teachers

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sun Dec 12 16:07:03 PST 2010

> Can anyone point me to some good writing on the short story genre?
> Joanna

I was reading some of Seamus Haney's poems yesterday and today. He wrote a book of essays, Preoccupations, which I haven't read. It might be helpful.

D was over and read a few of his poems yesterday. I wasn't that impressed at first, but changed my mind. Try Casualty and Death of a Naturalist and see. The last one struck me as amazingly funny. The former gives you some idea about what I mean by a portrait.

A theory. Sometimes poets and playwrights have more helpful things to say than writers and critics. Maybe it's the crafts, the reduction of elements.

CG