[lbo-talk] protest Obama

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 06:15:16 PST 2010

Doug, I really do not understand what this letter is aimed to accomplish.

On the one hand, I find it increasingly more difficult to say anything positive about this administration. I defended (sort of) its position on the crappy health reform as realism because in this country's political system it is far more difficult to introduce something new as opposed to mere stalling and resisting any change. For that reason, a far reaching compromise was a necessity to accomplish any reform.

But by the same logic, O's administration did not have to to do much beyond ordinary stalling to let the Bush era tax cuts expire. Yet they chose to cut a deal to prolong them over the opposition of a big part of their own party. That is not compromise but capitulation cum collaboration - the Fifth Column if you will.

But pursuing that analogy a step further, what good does writing a letter denouncing Quislings and Vichy do? It is not the lack of courage or moral falling of Mr. Quisling or Mr. Petain that led to the capitaltion but the strength of the Nazi panzer. Circulating letters only creates an illusion that this is still a democratic political system in which argument and reason matter. They do not.

Wojtek