[lbo-talk] protest Obama

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 13 11:20:21 PST 2010

Cox: His OWN goal was to extend the tax cuts

Maybe, but how do you know?

I don't, of course, KNOW. But it seems a simpler hypothesis than complex analyses of his inner thoughts. Wojtek mentioned a simple way in which he could have acted to let them expire. Are there any grounds for assuming that he and/or his staff were too simple-minded or two frightened (of what?) to follow that simple path. Instead he went through a complex procedure that seems to have guaranteed their extension.

No complex reasoning, it seems to me, is needed to conclude that he got what he wanted.

For two years Marxists, left-liberals, and plain-vanilla liberals have indulged in complex reasonings to demonstrate that appearances to the contrary Obama was ignoring all sorts of ways to accomplish what they posited he must "really" have wanted. How is it that his critics are so much more politically sophisticated than Obama and his staff are.

My premise is really quite simple: He knows what he is doing? What is the non-speculative evidence that he doesn't know what he is doing?

Carrol