[lbo-talk] protest Obama

Joanne Landy joanne.landy at igc.org
Mon Dec 13 11:53:20 PST 2010

It's impossible to know what Obama "really" wanted as far as tax cuts for the wealthy But I don't think it's true that the only way he could have gotten tax cuts for everyone else and an extension of unemployment benefits was by giving the GOP what it wanted on the upper brackets, which is what you seem to be suggesting, Doug. (maybe I misunderstood you.)

Not-so-revolutionary people like Anthony Weiner have convincingly argued that Obama could have barnstormed around the country, challenging Republicans who were willing to hold the vast majority of Americans hostage to tax-cuts for the wealthy. The point is that even if Obama was "really" for limiting the tax cuts, he was unwilling to mobilize masses of people around a more egalitarian program. And that's because, overall, he holds to pro-corporate policies that would be undermined by mass mobilization.

Incidentally, I signed the open letter about Obama, but it isn't clear to me who the organizers of the letter were, since the web site makes it clear that people who signed the letter were not necessarily in agreement with everything on the site. Can anyone shed light on this?

--Joanne