[lbo-talk] Inequality on the Diamond

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 13 15:00:32 PST 2010

I.A. Richards and Eliot, at roughly the same time, took up the problem of poetry and truth: How could one enjoy or value a poem taught false beliefs? That problem was Richards's point of departure to. He argued that we were possessed by contradictory feelings, and a poem resolved the tension that created. (I read this in the early & mid-50s & don't guarantee my accuracy.) He later, I think, argued that the "future" triumphs of neurology would provide evidence for this. (And got mocked for that by some of the new critics.) On the basis of a very brief conversation with Gabe Gudding, a poet in the English Dept here, I think _some _ contemporary poets are going back to Good Poetry Must be True position, and also rejecting all the major "Moderns."

I tend to argue that the only relation to "truth" and "goodness" a literary text (or for that matter, any text) needs is to raise interesting questions in an interesting way. (Sort of a superior "conversation piece."") And the only test of that is if a reasonable number of people continue to talk/write about the poem. NO VALUE JUDGMENT NEEDED. Not even a theory of 'value' in poetry; simply an empirical observation.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Jim Farmelant Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 2:40 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Inequality on the Diamond

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:30:55 -0500 c b <cb31450 at gmail.com> writes:
> Jim Farmelant
>

> So, is it to safe to say that Carrol is advancing a noncognitivist,
> if
> not emotivist, view of esthetic and moral judgments? As I recall,
> I.A.
> Richards popularized an emotivist account of esthetic judgments
> some
> eighty or ninety years ago. And his account, apparently had some
> influence on those logical positivists who proposed similar
> accounts
> of moral judgments.
>
> ^^^^
> CB: Who proposed " boo./rah" theory ? G.E. Moore ?

No, Moore was an intuitionist. He held that we could know by intuition that certain things like pleasure and beauty were goods in themselves. Emotivism, started, with I.A. Richards, as a theory of esthetic judgments, and was made into a theory of moral judgments by A.J. Ayer in his book, "Language, Truth, and Logic," and by C.L. Stevenson in his book, "Ethics and Language." I think it was R.M. Hare who pejoratively called emotivism, the "booh/hooray" theory. But Hare's prescriptivism is still a kind of noncognitivism, but which differed from the emotivisms of Ayer and Stevenson, because of its emphasis on the universilizability of moral judgments.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math ____________________________________________________________ How to Fall Asleep? Cambridge Researchers have developed an all natural sleep aid just for you. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d0684d35d529fe364st05vuc ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk