[lbo-talk] Re: Music news: Akon’s No Labels anthem

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 15 12:26:07 PST 2010

At 12:16 PM 12/15/2010, Shane Mage wrote:

>For this I get the image: "Pepsi drinkers and Coke drinkers unite
>behind promoting the consumption of high-fructose corn syrup."

Speaking of labels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup

On September 14, 2010, The Corn Refiners Association applied for permission to use the name "corn sugar" in place of high-fructose corn syrup on food labels for products sold in the United States. According to a press release, "Consumers need to know what is in their foods and where their foods come from and we want to be clear with them," said CRA president Audrae Erickson. "The term 'corn sugar' succinctly and accurately describes what this natural ingredient is and where it comes from – corn."[77]

The association however did not provide clarification as to a change in what the FDA already considers corn sugar, i.e., dextrose[78] or any of the other corn-derived sugars such as corn syrup and maltodextrin.

Time magazine stated that the CRA's decision to change the name of HFCS was because HFCS had such a bad reputation.[79]

In response to the proposed name change, The New York Times ran an article asking nutrition experts what they would suggest as appropriate names for HFCS. Three of the five experts recommended alternate names, including Michael Pollan who suggested "enzymatically altered corn glucose". Dr Andrew Weil recommended not changing from HFCS, calling the term corn sugar "too vague" and the CRA's attempt to change HFCS's name as "Orwellian". However Dr Barry Popkin felt that "corn sugar" was an appropriate term.[80][81]