[lbo-talk] "Still a Democrat" (was protest Obama)

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 13:29:23 PST 2010

Rationally I'm on the side of seeing the DP as the problem not solution. But at the same time I have a huge emotional attachment to the Democratic Party that is hard to get over. Terry Bisson, I think, expressed it well in an interview:

The facts of Bisson's life and mine or very different, but emotionally the following quote from him speaks for me too:

>"Once in my twenties I tried (probably foolishly) to explain to a favorite aunt why I was a radical, a Marxist, an all-around anti-war hippie radical. She nodded and said, "you are still a Democrat though?"

>I said sure.

Later in the same interview with Bisson:

>Q) How do you feel about anarchism?

>A) "As an idea, I like it. But I'm a big government guy. I'm a TVA baby. Still a Democrat".

Again, these are not to be taken as intellectual analysis. But they represent real emotional truths for some leftists of all political stripes, and probably do influence our analysis.