[lbo-talk] "Ruling Class" as Agent?????

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 06:40:12 PST 2010

[WS:] It may be frustrating but not surprising. Burawoy (_Manufacturing consent_) described that behavior among factory workers. What transpires from his research and also studies of social movement participation (Snow et al.) is that - as the old Eastern European commies used to say - being determines consciousness (not the other way around.) Or, as US trained sociologists would say, social interaction aligns cognitive frames of participants. That is, people participate in particular types of social interaction (such as social movements or shop-floor games described by Burawoy) because their peers or significant others do, and their thinking changes as a result of that participation. Otoh, thinking in a certain way is not a good predictor of participation.

The "stooges" who reproduce capitalism-friendly forms of behavior on the shop-floor or in their academic pursuits do so not necessarily because their embrace capitalist ideology (they are often very critical of it as Dissenting Wren aptly pointed out), but rather because such forms have been successfully institutionalized in the everyday life. This can be demonstrated by the counterexample of Communist Eastern Europe, where very different forms of everyday behavior had been institutionalized - ones that can be subsumed under the heading "screw the system." Consequently, even stooges loyal to the system behaved in the "screw the system" way, as documented in US literature (cf. Feiwel, Wedel or Kennedy).

This is why the demise of labor unions and the dearth of "left" institutions (such as cooperatives or political parties) in the US has such devastating consequences for the prospect of any opposition to capitalism in this country. Participation in such institutions changes consciousness by instituting certain forms of every day life behavior. This cannot be accomplished by mere persuasion - as the academic types tend to hope. It also explains why so many people may be disillusioned about capitalism, but go on reproducing it in their everyday life activities (be it shop floor or academic pursuits.)

Wojtek