[lbo-talk] ASA changes its conference venue due to labor dispute

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 08:32:26 PST 2010

Yes, the American Sociological Association. Sociology is perhaps the most left-leaning and pro-labor discipline in the US, which may explain why it is held in such a low regard by economists (who tend to be stooges of the capital.) Although the reason for the change of venue is technical (most likely to avoid penalties for a breech of contract) - I am reasonably certain that refusal to cross the picket line was a big factor in that decision.

This brings to memory a story my ex told me when she was a student at the UCSC in the 1980s. Her department (I forgot which it was, but it was not sociology), which had a radical reputation, was approached by a union with a similar request - to change the venue of their graduation party due to labor-management dispute. They refused - only a handful of students (including my ex) joined the picket line and challenged the self-styled progressive faculty and students who did cross it.

In that context, I really appreciate the recent ASA decision to change the venue.

Wojtek