[lbo-talk] "Still a Democrat" (was protest Obama)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 16 12:57:25 PST 2010

> There is no alternative

Dennis C:

Yikes. A parent named Ronald or Margaret.

I know Carrol doesn't like Freud, but to follow a train here:

"A hero is a man who stands up manfully against his father and in the end victoriously overcomes him." (from "Moses and Monotheism", 1939)

It's his concept of THE Unconscious (and whatever depends on that premise) that I don't like. But he had many shrews comments about the world. In fact that shrewdness provided the illusory evidence for this theory. He would observe X (just as anyone, trained or not in psychology might), then he would say Q [a totally mystic entity) is the cause of X. Then people who have had they not been hypnotized recognized the truth of X with no help from Freud say, vacuously, What a genius to notice such [sic] depths.

As to those who can't see alternatives to a destructive force --

Pity, yes, for the infected But maintain atisepsis.

Carreol