[lbo-talk] Police state?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 05:25:40 PST 2010

RE: "There is a long, stupid, loud minority tradition in the US wherein state resource management and enforcement personnel are treated as the vanguard of state oppression against faux-yeomanlike "free" hunters and fishermen, who should be allowed to do whatever they want, goddammit. Is that the view you are supporting? I am otherwise finding it hard to find your justification of the use of the very strong term "police state" here. Was this some kind of obscure joke?"

[WS:] Actually, it was a tongue-in-cheek commentary on the comments to this non-story posted on the WP site by some law-and-order types (I posted something similar to their listserv as well.)

I am by no means sympathetic to the tradition that you mention. However, I do feel very strongly about animal suffering - mostly as a result of human activity - and do I sympathize with people who try to ease that suffering.

I was myself in a similar situation many years ago when I saw a pigeon stuck on railroad tracks at Baltimore Penn station. I did jump on the tracks to rescue the pigeon (even though many consider them as pests) - which the Amtrak people did not like but their only reaction was "Sir, you cannot take that bird on the train." They could have fined me but they chose not to.

My reading of the WP non-story is that the cops who responded to the situation felt that their "authority" was at stake and wanted to show they guys who rescue the deer who is the boss. Many people - not just cops - act like that in similar situations.

Wojtek