[lbo-talk] Terry Eagleton on "The death of universities"

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 05:44:21 PST 2010

Joanna: "But rather than argue about when our notion of the "humanities" was shaped, I'd rather point out that this is a great door opening for the left: to create and make available material for those who want to understand this subject matter. THe CP took this kind of thing very seriously, making a lot of this stuff accessible and comprehensible to the masses as part of a general literacy/education campaign."

[WS:] This would work only if it were a supply-side restriction (which was likely the case when the CP launched the said effort.) But today, I am afraid, this is mainly the demand side restriction - i.e. the utter lack of interest in studying these subjects among students. As they say, "You can bring a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. You can bring a whore to culture, but you cannot make her think."

Wojtek