[lbo-talk] Police state?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 12:37:18 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net>wrote:

> At 05:25 AM 12/21/2010, Wojtek S wrote:
>
> My reading of the WP non-story is that the cops who responded to the
>> situation felt that their "authority" was at stake and wanted to show they
>> guys who rescue the deer who is the boss.
>>

> My reading was they were trying to keep two idiots from drowning or
> contracting hypothermia. .

Wojtek, you really should spend some time hanging out with park rangers, in the main they're way less authoritarian than the public they deal with is completely unaware of how the non-human world - from ice to bears, boulders to rain squalls - works. Find anyone who's worked at a park for any length of time and they'll have more head-shaking stories than you can shake a stick at.

Jeez, you think a drowning person is likely to pull their untrained "rescuer" under, in this case into freezing waters... imagine what a panicked deer'd do.