[lbo-talk] China

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Dec 26 09:26:15 PST 2010

On Dec 26, 2010, at 8:40 AM, Eric Beck wrote:

> Everyone assumes that
> this expansion must have brought about a historic increase in the size
> of the Chinese industrial working class, but that is flatly false. The
> latest statistics show that, on balance, China did not create any new
> jobs in manufacturing between 1993 and 2006, with the total number of
> such workers hovering around 110 million people.

Well yeah, but that's a narrow conception of the working class. Overall, according to the ILO. China's labor force was 792 million in 2009, up about 8% from 2000. It's up over 50% since 1980.

Employment in agriculture is up 3% since 1987 (also according to the ILO), but up 11% in industry and 110% in services. Service employment was 48% of employment in industry in 1987 - in 2007, it was 91%. That's a pretty classic sign of economic development.

> Of course, over
> these years China became a global industrial powerhouse, but it did so
> not through opening new markets or innovating new productive
> techniques...

I'm not sure that was ever true, but it's certainly not true now - China has begun to innovate a lot on its own. It did so the same way that the U.S. and Japan did - by stealing other countries' technologies and then developing them on their own.

What is the point of this sort of exercise? China is a remarkable story of economic growth and the growth of an unusual form of capitalism, one with a still-heavy hand of the state.

I love this vignette from the September 23 Financial Times: