[lbo-talk] Inside job

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 06:35:53 PST 2010

True, but it is the nature of the subject, no? It is all about collusion between academics, businessmen and politicians, and cooking numbers - which does not turn easily into flicks that appeal to popular tastes. Michael Moore's films may have more of popular appeals but they lack the "personal indictment" power that Inside Job has.

For in my view, most of the critiques of capitalism are weak and ineffective because they focuses on abstract systemic features and misses human agency - or men behind the curtain. What Inside jobs shows is that finance capitalism could not exist without its "vanguard party" composed of organic intellectuals showing what is possible and cooking up arguments for it, businessmen who back these ideas with their money, and politicians who pass laws making the implementation of these ideas possible and shielding their implementers from legal liability. It lead to a logical conclusion that one does not need a revo and "withering of the state" to implement far reaching systemic changes - incapacitating a handful of people forming the vanguard party of finance capital will do.

Wojtek