[lbo-talk] populism

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 10:05:35 PST 2010

[A regressive increase in fuel prices--that'll stick it to them five- and six-car-driving elites. Naturally, truck drivers are not so happy with Morales's attempt to protect the national economy.]

Bolivia Raises Fuel Prices to Protect Economy and Stop Subsidizing Smugglers by Agencia Boliviana de Información

The Bolivian government approved on Sunday a decree to bring fuel prices in line with regional prices, "to protect the economy and stop subsidizing smugglers," which adjusts gasoline and diesel prices while keeping frozen the prices of liquefied petroleum gas and vehicular natural gas.

At a press conference, Vice President Álvaro García Linera, temporarily assuming presidential duties due to Evo Morales's trip to Venezuela, announced Supreme Decree 748, approved by the cabinet of ministers at a meeting held in the Palacio Quemado, the seat of the executive branch.

"We can no longer subsidize either smugglers or the powerful who have five or six cars. What we want to do is to use the money for fuel subsidy for the benefit of the Bolivians, for the neediest," he argued.

The Bolivian vice president said that the decision was taken by the cabinet after a long debate, to "protect the Bolivian economy."

[...]

mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/abi271210.html