[lbo-talk] Reserve army of the Phds

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Dec 29 10:22:40 PST 2010

Well, actually, using Ph.D. candidates to do all your teaching while you're charging them tuition and charging undergrads tuition to get a college degree without maybe ever seen a professor seems like a very neoliberal project to me. The Economist article seemed to be talking out of both sides of its mouth.

But yeah, all sorts of ironies here...

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: dredmond at efn.org To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:02:47 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Reserve army of the Phds

On Wed, December 29, 2010 5:58 am, Marv Gandall forwarded:

> The disposable academic
> Why doing a PhD is often a waste of time
> The Economist
> Dec 16th 2010
>
> Meanwhile,
> business leaders complain about shortages of high-level skills,
> suggesting PhDs are not teaching the right things.

Hilarious. Pray tell, what high-level skills would those be? Selling bogus CDOs to European pension funds? Cooking the books through accounting shenanigans? High-end mortgage fraud? Shuttering union plants and selling off the machinery overseas?

One of the greatest ironies of neoliberalism is that it fundamentally hates both education as well as innovation. Neither is profitable over the short term, and both create long-term egalitarianism and upward mobility -- potential threats to the oligarchy of bubble-capital.

-- DRR