[lbo-talk] Agency and Capitalism

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Dec 31 10:51:47 PST 2010

On 12/30/2010 07:12 PM, Eric Beck wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Miles Jackson<cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:
>
>> ...as long as workers continue to be wage workers, yes? --I suspect this is
>> Carrol's point, but it's good to be explicit!
> A distinction w/out a difference, no? Don't see how you can sustain
> this without recourse to a Hegelian distinction between ideal (work)
> and real (labor).

Nothing Hegelian about it: every day in every society around the world, people do work outside the wage system (e.g., household labor). I see no reason for us to accept the capitalist assumption that "real work" = "wage labor". As Carrol has pointed out, the historical aberration is people getting paid wages for their work in a capitalist society!

Miles