[lbo-talk] Agency and Capitalism

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 12:06:56 PST 2010

Angelus: It's an entirely different whether a concrete political trajectory, or I would prefer to say a concrete political aim (the abolition of capitalism, of labor, of the law of value) flows from the logic of the worker in capitalism. For the sake of the survival of the human species, I certainly hope it does. But "flow" is a bad work, implying spontaneity. I think Marx's gamble in publishing _Capital_ is that if workers are made aware of their role in capitalism, they would find it intolerable. But there are no guarantees.

Somebody: Well, if we don't really know if a real political trajectory or outcome comes out of the role of workers in sustaining capitalism, then how do we *know* that we can rule out that a correct understanding of the critique of political economy could play such a function instead?

Anyway, wage-labor will persist after the revolution, full stop. It's depressing how the critique of capitalism rests upon facts that do not differentiate it from really existing anti-capitalist alternatives.