[lbo-talk] Enough With the China Shtick Already!

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 1 13:46:33 PST 2010

At 01:25 PM 2/1/2010, Chris Doss wrote:

>Oh, to answer your question below. The child of a Russian and a Jew
>is the same as the child of an Italian and Ethiopian. That is, "I am
>half Italian and half Ethiopian." Or, to pick an example closer to
>home, me. My mother is German and my father is American of
>indeterminate heritage. Therefore, I am half-German and
>half-American of indeterminate heritage. Should I have children with
>a Chinese person, they will be one-quarter German, one-half Chinese,
>and one-quarter American of indeterminate heritage. My ex-girlfriend
>Nelli is one-half Russian, one-quarter Tatar, and one-quarter Cossack.

You speak of this like it's a law of nature. This is straight up blood quantum, a concept with a specific and problematic history. It's a corollary of the one drop rule and taken to its logical extension means you can legislate a group out of existence when quantum restrictions determine who is in and who is out.

In other words, the quantum of bullshit and danger in the concept is high.