[lbo-talk] What to do next

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:28:05 PST 2010

> My question now is how to initiate things, because popular movements
> have inertia. We can deal with the other issues later. For now, the
> basic principle of military theory, which says that one should apply
> overwhelming force on key narrow targets, suffices. Conclusion: we
> must build up as much force as possible. And, as Napoleon well knew,
> forces can only be built by fighting. And idle army is a decaying
> army. The more force, the better. We need victories, small and big.
> Victories to reinforce the confidence of people in their ability to
> win. We'll know much if we "just" (1) identify the best targets and
> (2) determine how to prompt mass actions to the point of making them
> overwhelm the general resistance to change.
>
> It's a long rambling answer, because I don't have time to edit.

> The target should be the Democrats. This is the target, the movement is
based around the goal of creating a critical mass of people to the left of the Democratic Party, that's all it needs to be. With all the divisions and differences on the left this is all that it can be. This is not a bad thing. The movement becomes not about any single issue but the failure of the Democrats to achieve what they said they would around a multitude of issues. Kill the Dems!! that is the only motto needed.

Brad