[lbo-talk] Sigtarp

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Mon Feb 1 22:41:22 PST 2010

On 2/1/2010 6:40 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2010, at 12:24 AM, Eubulides wrote:
>
>> I call on all error theorists to turn to rubbish the sophomoric use of
>> "moral hazard." The economics profession would do well to spend a few
>> years studying what's happened in metaethics; unfortunately the
>> academic/policy wonk dol is not going to come to terms with nihilism
>> any time soon. That'll tie 'em up in knots. And we'll get the next
>> crisis even sooner. Let's be efficient in bringing on monetary doom, ok?
>
> Could you sometimes write as if you weren't just sharing a private joke
> with yourself?
>
> Doug

I've posted plenty of stuff on error theory on the list. Sorry if it gave you the creeps.

You know what the problems of nihilism are. And why was Ayn Rand such an admirer of Nietzsche while clinging to Aristotle? Not that N. is the be-all end-all of error theory, by any means.

I'll leave aside the issue as to why the American Economics Association has no code of ethics or why studies of rational choice and theories of perfect competition would lead someone like David Gauthier -who's studied the problems I allude to more than either of us- to assert that markets are morality free zones. Dol stands for division of labor. If economists seriously studied the problems in ethical theory that have arisen in the last 30 years they'd have to let go of a lot more than their reverence for markets.

But what do I know, I'm not an economist.

Moral hazard is right up there with phlogiston.

The "money is a time machine" comes from Paul Davidson, your favorite bore.

All jokes are public :-)