[lbo-talk] Enough With the China Shtick Already!

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 02:43:31 PST 2010

Let me explain this again, for the 20th time. "Jew" and "Russian" are ethnic categories, like "White" and "Black." They have nothing to do with citizenship. Again, it is the "Rossiskaya Federatsiya," the citizens of which are called "rossiyane." It is not the "Russian Federation," the citizens of which are "Russians," except in English. If Obama were some sort of Russian equivalent, he would be a Rossiyanin, the father of whom was Russian and the mother Jewish.   Clear?

----- Original Message ---- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

Oh, gee, I hadn't thought of that.

Following the lead of your Trotsky example, it's not whether Magic Johnson (and why did you pick him?) is black or white. It's whether he's an American. He is, you know. In some senses, black Americans are more American than I am - my mother's siblings were born in Italy and Italian was their first language. His ancestors have been here for four centuries.