[lbo-talk] What to do next

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 11:38:35 PST 2010

Shane's theory is news to me. Now, the conspiracy theory I have heard on a couple of occasions from people I have reason to think know what they are talking about was that the coup was in fact engineered by Gorbachev himself, because it would have given him justification to introduce repressive measures against both the liberals and conservatives, but he chickened out and Yeltsin capitalized on the opportunity.

I have no idea if that is true,

----- Original Message ---- From: Julio Huato <juliohuato at gmail.com>

I must admit that yours sounds like a very plausible story to me. But, not being an expert on late Soviet history, I should tag Chris.

Chris,

Can you please confirm for us that, in August 1991, Kryuchov, Yazov, Plavov, Pugo, et alia were in fact in cahoots with Yeltsin, Nazarbayev, et alia to pull this one on the Russians?

Thanks in advance,