[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 2 14:16:16 PST 2010

The following is pure speculation.

The Great Depression created something sort of analogous to the Vietnam Syndrome -- only it focused on the obligation of government to prevent such things. Now of course the actual depression generations are dead or dying. The post-war generations, who benefitted from government programs (gi-bill, interstate system, federal loan guarantee, etc) are also dying off. Meanwhile a series of "Little Recessions," gradually increasing in severity, more and more acculturated the public to slumps they could survive, just as little wars beegan to erode the Vietnam Syndrome. That gave room for full-fledged individualism to begin to flourish again. which coupled with White Backlash (of varying degrees of intensity) made it possible for a series of Administrations to turn "Government" into evil. It will take quite a shock, plus a vigorus movement in response to it, to build some new "Vietnam Syndrome."

As I said, pure speculation which I won't venture to defend or expand.

Carrol