[lbo-talk] Enough With the China Shtick Already!

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Feb 2 16:56:05 PST 2010

================================ Undoubtedly, but these ethnic and racial distinctions - which you both treat with such scholarly detachment - have served as the most powerful brake on the development of solidarity between peoples, tied them to their own exploiting elites, and resulted in rivers of blood being shed in pograms, genocides, and innumerable intercommunal wars. I suspect the indifference betrayed by your statements that these divisions are simply "a fact, whether good or bad" and just another manifestation of "the idea of racial identity which for many people just happens to rings true", is what has provoked the ire of many on the list. Lecturing us that we "ought to know what is as well as what ought to be" is a further irritant and irrelevant for those of us who have learned that lesson full well in other contexts.