[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:12:31 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM, James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Regulation of business does nothing to enhance the lives of working people. On the >contrary, it only serves to reinforce the status quo.
>
> I'm not American, but these are the regulations I face. I cannot, as a parent, look after >someone else's child in an activity that takes place, once a week, without submitting >myself to a check on my criminal background. So far I have submitted to this check >four times, but despite having the certificate, I have to apply again for each separate >activity.

I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with James *and* Lenin. Brrr. People are generally against regulation of "business" because there's no such thing: the experience it as also--and, most of the time, only--a regulation of them, their lives, and their movement. Which is what it is.

I agree with Doug when he says, of Nader and others, that they engage in litigation because it's easier than engaging in actual politics. I think the same can be said of regulation.