[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 04:40:34 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM, John Gulick <john_gulick at hotmail.com>wrote:

> MJS:
>
> The same
> people who drivel about Big Gummint will say in the next breath,
>
> "there oughta be a law."
>
> JG:
>
> Yeah... a law to interrogate dusky towelheads and to force welfare queens
> to sweep streets for their monthly pittance. Just because gliberals are
> worthy
> of scorn doesn't mean paleocons are country cousins who we'd recognize as
> our own if we only looked at them a bit more sympathetically.
>

> APR:

Nah, most of my students don't really have an opinion about torture but, reading Domhoff or David Cay Johnston's hyper-populist Free Lunch (How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense [and Stick You with the Bill]) leaves them in a deep regulatory fervor. "That should be legal!" "No one should be allowed to do that stuff!" "Why don't local (state or federal) governments DO something about that stuff?!) Government should totally stay out of my way but should totally be there to protect people from rapacious corporations, criminals, terrorists, etc...