[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 06:49:56 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> Sometimes I think that many on the left see the masses as some radical
> sleeping giant just waiting for an alarm to ring. They aren't, you know.

False binary!

A few years ago the "immigration problem" started to boil over, with the Minutemen and those nuts of course, but even "responsible" people started to question if there were too many illegals in the U.S. Conservatives, of course, wanted to throw 'em all out and build a wall. Liberals brayed: That's inhumane! Crack down on the evil companies that employ them, regulate and monitor their hiring practices. So that's what the Bush administration did, with workplace raids ramping up late in 2006 and continuing until today. The result: a few businesses fined though nothing that's caused any serious blockage of the wheels of commerce. Meanwhile, many thousands of migrants "caught up" in the raids have been harassed, terrorized, deported, thrown into camps and jails, spread out across the country to locations where their support networks can't find them or even know about their status. That's regulation in the U.S.