[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Wed Feb 3 07:36:22 PST 2010

We've been traveling around the United States for nine years. We have been to hundreds of places in

nearly every state. I have given scores of talks and radio interviews, spoken to many hundreds of people,

dealt with any number of problems, read scores of local papers, listened to local radio stations across the country,

watched many hours of local television, and quietly observed people of all kinds.

There are thoughtful people in the United States, lots of them. Even a good many radicals. But they are far, far outnumbered by

people without much knowledge of anything, with backward views on all sorts of subjects and perfectly willing to

express them to anyone who will listen. Racism, mindless patriotism, religious zealotry of every kind, rampant passive-aggressiveness,

hatred of immigrants, disdain for those who protest, a disengagement from normal social discourse, an objectivication of people (how can I use you?)--an unhealthy brew to say the least.

This country really puts Gramsci's notion of "pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will" to the test. I try to be optimistic, to take a long view, to keep plugging away. But it is difficult. I get annoyed at people who have a truly lame view of radical prospects here but who don't know anything about the place. We should alll stick to what we know.

Michael Yates