[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 3 09:15:14 PST 2010

On Feb 3, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Eric Beck wrote:

> So instead of generalizing
> about the American psyche or bitching about people's stupidity--which
> is also exactly what the right does

Actually the right doesn't do that at all. The standard line of the American right is that the people are immensely wise and that intellectuals, who are almost always liberals or worse, have their heads up their asses. Slightly more sophisticated version: the market is all-wise and planners are stupid.

E.g., William F. Buckley: "I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."

Doug