[lbo-talk] uh-oh! too much regulation!!

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Feb 3 18:54:41 PST 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 21:16:10 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Hmm, as Carrol Cox pointed out the other day, turns of phrase are
> never accidental. "The Great Unwashed"?

It's a bond of solidarity. I don't wash much myself. And I have Auden's authority for it:

Thou shalt not be on friendly terms With guys in advertising firms,

Nor speak with such As read the Bible for its prose, Nor, above all, make love to those

Who wash too much.

> Faith in the wisdom of The People is too easy, too populist, and,
> judging from the state of things, kind of unjustified.

Burn, Straw Man, burn!

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com