[lbo-talk] a new low

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 4 14:52:38 PST 2010

MICHAEL YATES wrote:
> If military service is at the heart of citizenship, then citizenship in the US must be the equivalent of murder.
>
> What a stupid fool! It is remarkable that people won't admit that soldiers are trained killers, period.

Huge numbers of people in the military never even learn to hold or even fire a weapon let alone become trained killers. I don't have the actual numbers but from my previous experience in the military I don't see how the category of "not a trained killer" could constitute less than 60% of all military personnel. Few soldiers are trained killers. Most do jobs little different from non-military jobs.

I do however fail to see how military service makes one a better citizen nor am I one to encourage the idea that the opinions of those who have served carry greater weight on matters of armed conflict than those who have not served.

John Thornton