[lbo-talk] Altenberg 16: Will the real theory stand up

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Sat Feb 6 03:09:17 PST 2010

On 2/5/2010 1:35 PM, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> "There has never been a theory of evolution." – Cytogeneticist Antonio
> Lima-de-Faria, Evolution without Selection
>

> No one knows how life began, but so-called theories of evolution are
> continually being announced. This book, The Altenberg 16: Will the Real
> Theory of Evolution Please Stand Up? exposes the rivalry in science
> today surrounding attempts to discover that elusive mechanism of
> evolution, as rethinking evolution is pushed to the political front
> burner in hopes that "survival of the fittest" ideology can be replaced
> with a more humane explanation for our existence and stave off further
> wars, economic crises and destruction of the Earth.
>
> http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=103x370774
>
> ---------
>
> I am posting these because of last week's thread `Darwinian evolution
> only part of the story'. It looks like the above are follow ups.
>
> CG

There is no "elusive mechanism of evolution"; there are an irreducible plurality of processes that make genotypes, phenotypes, ecologies, climates, cytologies, epsitemologies [Bateson's conjectures about know-how in light of thinking about the Baldwin effect]. We are quite a ways from elucidating and explaining to ourselves how those processes "hang" together. It remains to be seen/thought how the polysemy of the term evolution holds up in the course of continuing research.

"Fears generated science, as uncontrollable anxiety" [Bill Nelson]