[lbo-talk] This one's for Carrol

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Feb 5 21:01:20 PST 2010

And he was quite unfairly attacking the two more than competent scholars who wrote the text-books (the Decretum and the Sentences) that served that pre-eminent medieval invention, the university, for half a millennium.

They are examples of C. S. Lewis' remark, "There was nothing which medieval people liked better, or did better, than sorting out and tidying up. Of all our modern inventions I suspect that they would most have admired the card index." (That's from Lewis' last and best book, The Discarded Image [1964]; he had not of course seen a computer.) --CGE