[lbo-talk] Altenberg 16: Will the real theory stand up

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 09:19:23 PST 2010

I could sense in Chuck's original post that the corrections Eub and Bryan provide were needed.

What struck me the most is that the critiques that've emerged from the email snooping and the work Mazur's generating seem to be grounded in a pre-Kuhnian understanding of how science works... and the science studies world has moved far beyond Kuhn in the almost half century since the publication of The Structure of Scientific Revolution.

Somehow, these folks forget that the intrusion of institutional reproduction, hierarchical power relations and efforts to defend scientific orthodoxy and hegemony are normal parts of science - something we've known for a long time, even Merton understood that objectivity was the production of the institutions of science not of the individuals.

Where Kuhn went wrong, of course, was in the functionalist account of hegemonic paradigmatic normal science leading to the gradual accumulation of explanatory gaps which generate a weakening edifice eventually producing theoretical crisis followed by competition between (usually) youthful and underestablished scientits and theorists - often at least initially suppressed by some of their more established mentors - before that competition leads to the establishment of a new hegemonic paradigm and subsequent stage of normal scientific practice.

While there are still problems with Lakatos' variously Venn-like overlapping research programs, and I'm not a fan of Feyerabend's anarchistic embrace of pragmatism (if it works, even just a little, it is science and ought to deserve respect and funding), these approaches almost immediately engaged with the ambiguity and differentiation resident within Kuhn's assumedly homogeneity of practice within hegemonic paradigms.

Larry Moran's argument ought to clear up a few things. First, while there is a dominant modern synthesis, Lakatos' work alone ought to indicate that any claims to it reflecting a hard, fast, established and complete truth are wildly overwrought. The same would be true about climate change. It is not a critique of the science behind the anthropogenic roots of a large portion of climate change that 98% of climate scientists embrace that there are still debates within that 98%, that there are still power relations informing the science, refereeing and publication of results, that people producing lousy science - particularly within the 2% of skeptics - are not smiled apon individually or institutionally by the 98%, or that there are still things to be worked out (duh, the more you know, the more you ought to know you don't know).

Second, the "problem" Mazur and climate change skeptics attribute to 99.5% of evolutionary scientists and 98% of all climate scientists is perfectly recapitulated by Mazur and climate change skeptics. If evolutionary and climate scientists are resistant to critique, intolerant of (especially crappy) science outside the box, and overstate the incontrovertability and totalizing nature of their account, at least they do so as part of a long-established majority that is the product of multiple rounds of internal disagreement, uncertaintly and sub-paradigmatic developments and "revolutions". Mazur and ecoskeptics, on the other hand, make wildly overblown claims about the illegitimacy of the modern synthesis and climate science based on the claims and publications of scientists, journalists and politicians that have almost always garnered devastating methodological critiques - critiques rarely coherently responded to - from the realm of modern science.

This is NOT to say that evolution is taught well or operationalized in a just manner or that the policy ramifications drawn by most climate scientists, environmentalists, bureaucrats and politicians are the right ones or the just ones. It is furthermore NOT to say that many avenues of evolutionary and climate science that might generate or support more fair and just policy perspectives and planning have not been rejected, forestalled, undermined or suppressed by folks within dominant scientific-political institutions, many have. It is, however, to say that Mazur and skeptics might want to be better journalists, scientists and advocates before overstating the strength and misrepresenting the foundation of their work and perspectives.