[lbo-talk] Weimar shadows

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 7 02:42:25 PST 2010

'Really, James, do you read anything about American politics before filing these observations?'

No need to be so rude, Doug.

I did not mean that the tea-baggers and the anti-war protestors were the same people, I meant that both movements were symptomatic of the decline of conventional political constituencies. Both movements - apart from the ostensible political issues that they appeal to - are carried by a popular disaffection with the political elite.

I wouldn't go as far as Bob Morris (though his post is very interesting) - anti-political movements are in their nature, not things that can be turned to a positive purpose.