[lbo-talk] weimar shadows

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 8 19:49:06 PST 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2010, at 9:54 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>
> > At 04:03 PM 2/8/2010, Marv Gandall wrote:
> >> As you say, you're a busy person who probably hasn't thought much
> >> about how our country discriminates against blacks, immigrants,
> >> gays, Muslims, and women at home and is the greatest threat to
> >> peace and freedom abroad..."
> >

> > that'll get them on your side right quick.
>
> I don't think that was Marv's intention.

It wasn't mine,either, of course. I'm partly just trying to work somethng out myself. It is pretty obvious the IQ tests do not measure intelligence. In fact "intelligence" as a single entity probably doesn' exist. Gould among others wrote extensively on that. And as I tentatively argued ina post taking off from my own situation, "reading skill"is probably not relatred even to linguistic 'intelligence.' Hence they hypothetical teabagger's statement. I was mistaken to raise the final question, because no actual teabagger (or left supporter) is going to express sher position in that way, but I am seriously suggesting that it is a legitimate for anyone. It is a false expectation that anyone should be knowledgeable in history and politics. "Ignorance," in other words, is an inescapable social positin, not a correct description of any given person.

That's clumsy. But I'm going to keep ontrying different vrsions of it.

Carrol