[lbo-talk] DC blizzard dooms cap and trade

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 10:09:31 PST 2010

This piece by (CPGB-PCC member) James Turley is a favorite of mine http://theactivist.org/blog/copenhagen-protesters-the-media-and-capital

<http://theactivist.org/blog/copenhagen-protesters-the-media-and-capital>"The whole logic of the capitalist system, however, is opposed to any serious measure to limit environmental harm. Capital is value in motion – it succeeds in reproducing itself ultimately only by expanding. So-called capitalist solutions are no solutions at all – emissions trading is obviously a scam, and can only be a scam, since if carbon credits are strictly and permanently limited carbon markets are not markets, as no expansion is possible. Capitalism, then, is not seriously interested in saving the world, even if individual capitalist politicians, and even entire wings of bourgeois politics, are sincere in their efforts. Individual will means nothing – the system imposes absolute limits on what can be done."