[lbo-talk] demotic cuisine

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Feb 10 15:58:26 PST 2010

At 04:28 PM 2/10/2010, Dennis Claxton wrote:
>At 01:20 PM 2/10/2010, Eric Beck wrote:
>

>>Whatever the word, its deciding how others should conduct
>>themselves.
>

>Isn't that fundamental to politics?

yes, it is. the problem is that moralizing pretends it's not about politics. rather, it's about taste, distinction, judgement.

when people acknowledge that they want to advance a vision of the good life that demands certain kinds of personal behavior regarding sex, food, art, pedicures, clothing, etc. then we're making progress (hi carrol!). but most of the time, no one wants to say that. instead, they want the place that such judgements come from to be pure, unadulterated by the desire for power, the desire to make others conform to their tastes, preferences, judgements. their taste and judgement is only natural, what everyone should want if they weren't blinded by the veils of ideology. where that judgement comes from is magically not blinded by the veils of ideology.

radfemz are awesome at this.

shag