[lbo-talk] DC blizzard dooms cap and trade

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at sydney.edu.au
Wed Feb 10 16:00:32 PST 2010

Don't you know *all* of Australia is the outback? Except perhaps Sydney Harbour. Harbour, then outback - I'm pretty sure that covers it.

But I don't think many people believed those fires were produced by global warning. The occurence of major fires in Australia is a very long story about the landscape, the vegetation, the climate, and land use. In fact right now I'm on my way to have a long weekend at the beach in a small town with a very well established what-is-the-fire-hazard-today culture.

Catherine

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Mike Beggs Sent: Thu 11/02/2010 10:41 To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] DC blizzard dooms cap and trade

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:18 AM, James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Still, I don't remember anyone saying that it was daft to attribute the Paris heatwave or the Australian outback fires to global warming. The distinction between 'weather' and 'climate' seemed to get a bit lost then, too.

Incidentally, assuming we're talking about the fires a year ago that killed 173 people, they were in populated and coastal areas near Melbourne, not in the outback.