[lbo-talk] Marty Peretz: voodoo is Haiti's problem

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Feb 10 23:26:45 PST 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Marty Peretz was quoted as saying

> <http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-spine/voodoo-development-and-the-culture-haiti>

> I myself proposed what would in effect be a mandate for Haiti overseen by the
> United States. The model could be the American occupation and reform of
> Japan. But, of course, Japan was already a very advanced country. So the
> analogy is at best flawed. To tell the truth, whether Japan or not, Haiti
> would be lucky to be a protectorate (against nature and against its own
> large-scale criminal elements) of America.

Of course: the solution to Haiti's problems is colonialism! Why didn't we think of that? If you call it a mandate or a protectorate that changes everything. And it worked so well the first time.

And then he goes on to evoke how hard it would be for the US, but how idealistic a challenge -- classic White Man's Burden stuff.

What an unbelievably self-drunk asshole.

Michael