[lbo-talk] DC blizzard dooms cap and trade

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 11 07:52:44 PST 2010

shag carpet bomb wrote:

> the idea that there are three spheres of society -- the economy, the
> state,
> and civil society/the family -- is an idea engendered by capitalism
> itself.

I've referred a few times to a book edited by Postone, Albritton & Jessup, in which one of the essays (I forget the author) simply assumes (deriving this from Postone, Albritton, Arthur, ec. rathr than Smith) that Family, Education, & State are 'outside' capitalism. His argument is that capitalism isbadly damagin these three and undercutting their uefulness to it. (Tha's probably not a correct paraphase, it's been over a year sine Ilooked at it. But it would cost me over $100 probably to pay to have it read to me again to report on it accurately.

Carrol