[lbo-talk] demotic cuisine

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:17:45 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Whatever the word, its deciding how others should conduct
>> themselves.
>
> Isn't that fundamental to politics?

At first I wanted to say No and ask what's wrong with you. But reading shag's post made me realize we might be talking about different things. I used the word "conduct" thinking of Foucault and what he said about postdisciplinary government concerning itself with the "conduct of conduct." That is, rather than repression and force, this kind of governmentality tries to instill in subjects the ethic and will to guide and police themselves. Of course this isn't a generic form of enterprise but one oriented toward certain ends. But it's relevant, to me, because it's less about law and commanding and more about informal and personal regulation. Secular, extralegal critiques of excess are wholly consonant with this.