[lbo-talk] Tracking the decline of the left's historic base

mep maximumep at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:38:28 PST 2010

> But don't dare criticize the Weathermen!
>
> SA

and....

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Rickling wrote:
>
> The C.I.O. made a cvonscious decisionnot to organize in the south.
>>>

>> You've obviously never heard of Operation Dixie
>>

> Don't even try. Carrol prefers his historical materialism with no actual
> history.
>
> SA

Operation Dixie -- the half-ass attempt to unionize the south-- was largely abandoned by the CIO when it shifted gears to work in/with the Democratic Party:

"The passage of Taft-Hartley coincided with the failure of the CIO's first serious incursion into the South, Operation Dixie. This organizing drive collapsed largely because of the CIO's inability to confront racism in the south and, to a lesser extent, the obsession of the CIO leadership with its fight against its former Communist allies. The intersection of this geographic 'safehouse' for capital with racism in its most institutionalized forms continues to haunt organized labor. The migration of industry to the Sunbelt began in the wake of Taft-Hartley and the collapse of Operation Dixie." Kim Moody, An Injury to All: the decline of American unionism

As for the Weathermen, Carrol's contempt for them is hardly a secret for anyone familiar with his previous posts on the subject.

Guess it's not really Carrol's disconnect from reality that's at issue here.

-mep