[lbo-talk] WEATHERMAN: Racists & Spoilers of Unity

shrill.polemic shrill.polemic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 15:29:42 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> I don't know whether SA was deliberately lying or whether he was that
> ignorant of my politics. But if he is that ignorant, othersmay be as
> well.
>
> Let's have some context.
>
> The Panthers were a breakthrogh in theory and practice for the U.S.
> Left: they solved the problem that wracked many for over a century: How
> one could achieve white-black unity in the struggle. The answr was a
> revolutionary BlackParty, strongly entrtrenched in the Black community
> AND committed to full cooperation with the left as a whole. They joined
> in anti-war demos that were overwhelmingly white: two weeks before his
> murder Fred Hampton went to Madison to co-lead an anti-war march with
> the leader there. ...

Speaking of the Panthers, here's a link to an online video from a recent panel discussion:

Black Panther Party In Retrospect: The Assassination of Fred Hampton & Mark Clark

Former members of the Black Panther Party and Jeffrey Haas, author of "The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther", discuss the history and culture of the party and the murder of Fred Hampton. This event was held at the University of Chicago on December 2, 2009.

http://blip.tv/file/3174946

- shrill