[lbo-talk] Tracking the decline of the left's historic base

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 23:29:38 PST 2010

Carrol Cox wrote:

>>> The C.I.O. is a really lousy 'model' for left organizing.
>>>
>> But don't dare criticize the Weathermen!
>>

> Are you out of your fucking mind. The only people in the world I bear a
> real lasting grudge against are the fucking weathemen. They weren't
> ultra-left becuse the weren't left at all. Fucking spoilers!

I vaguely recall criticism of the Weathermen being put down as nothing more than a Platonic Fart, though I'm too tired right now to look up the details.

"mep" says Operation Dixie was too "half-assed." The CIO should have focused more on sticking up for the Communists - during the Berlin Airlift, while William Z. Foster was announcing that America was "five minutes to midnight," on the verge of revolution, and calling on CP cadres to go underground to prepare for armed struggle. No - wait! The CIO should have sent more of those Communists into Alabama to form interracial unions - in 1948, in the name of the pro-Communist CIO. During the Taft-Hartley Congress.

Union density would be so high today.

SA