[lbo-talk] WEATHERMAN: Racists & Spoilers of Unity

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 12 06:26:49 PST 2010

Good enough. Your memory of my using "Platonic" is probably to soem post in which I was arguing that criticizing past errors does not help avoid those er rors now or in the future, since they always appear in new condtions and in new forms, or else those who repeat them will argue that because the conditons are different, that errorisn't an error now. But that is not to deny or evendemphasize history. And in the case of Weather, romanticizing them obscures understanding of what was going on and wht was achieved in the '60s.

One othe rdetail comes to mind. Neither Jan nor I can remember what the occasion was, but for some purpose or other she drove to Panther headquarters in hicago to drive two Panthers back to Bloomington. What she _does_ remember is their tension, especially at the sight of any Chicago police car, until they got well away from Chicago. It must have been hard on the nerves being a Panther.

Incidentally, the reason Mark Clark was in Chicago to be murdered is itwelf interesting. It seems that the Chicato medi were doing too good a job recruiting for the Panthers; that is, presenting the Panthers as a bunch of thugs made them look attractive to tose who WERE thugs, who would then join. A general purge of those elements was proceeding, and Mark Clark was up there to be checked out. If you google "Mark Clark" you should find a web site concerning him. He had been a leader of the Peoria NAACP.

Carrol