[lbo-talk] Americans like gays & lesbians better than homosexuals

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 12 07:43:47 PST 2010

The discussion on the list regarding popular ignorance has been pretty jumbled and mixed with other matters not necessarily relevant. But it is moe important, I think, to study in depth the _sources_ and _causes_ ot that ignorance than to dwell on it merely as an empirical fact.

What I've been trying to develop, perhaps not to well, is the suggestion that skill in reading and/or writing is something of a fluke, and that probably a very larege proportion of the human species needs to take in information through through conversation, NOT reading. (The internet may or may not be the same as printed material.) If that is the case, then there is NO connection between rightist opinion on the one hand and intelligence on the other hand. Rightist perspectives are widely available in daily conversation, on radio, and on TV, while left perspectives are, for the most part, available only in print form.

The vast hullabaloo of the '60s made "progressive" ideas and information more visible, and more people encountered that perspective in oral form. Lobbying campaigns (e.g., for single payer) depend almost entirely on printed material. (And one of the reasons I hoped Michael Pollack would continue our debate was that this could be brought in and explored.) If to attract more peoplee to the left we have to _talk_ to them, and talk to them in contexts which visibly create a greater sense of possiblity, then some serious rethinking of tactics and strategy is called for.

My own provisonal view is that only unpredctable _events_ in the world can create that context in which more people are opened up to oral discussion. This, I think, was part of what 'made' the '60s. Besides the the Black Liberation Movement at the core of everything, all sorts of non-political or even apolitical events and activities contributed to give "the left" an audience. More students with more free time while being students was one. Rcck music. The hated hippies. The popularity of folk music. Probably more leisure in general. The various efforts to break throguh cesorship -- e.g. the publication of the the orgigivnal Lady Chatterly and of Henery Miller.

I don't know near enough about the '30s, but let me make some off-hand suggestions as to the crucial elements of that period. (a) The slight improvement in the economy in the early years of FDR's administration; (b) the Bonus Marhcers (c) the Twonsend plan; (d) the sit-down strikes. Economic slumps have an a0olitical effect on the general population, but a radicalizign effect on a mi ority, and that explains the growth of the CP in the early years of the Depression, hence poviding the core cadre for the CIO and other struggles of the mid-30s.

The left can't come into existence without events that cause people to look for leftists to talk to. And when such events occur, there have to be leftists making themselves visible.

This is all just thinking aloud.

Carrol